In order to reduce carbon emissions, the European Union set up the Horizon 2020 Framework Programme (2014-2020) – the biggest EU research and innovation project looking into smart energy systems for a sustainable and renewable energy future.
Interested in sustainable energy, HeatingForce.co.uk analysed data on Smart Energy Systems within the Horizon 2020 programme to discover the countries receiving the most funding for their projects.
- Spain received 41.41% of funding from the European Union for sustainable energy projects – €160,148,586
- In second place is Italy with 17.22% – €66,592,870 to fund energy projects
- France (12.36%) and the United Kingdom (7.5%) rank third and fourth respectively
- Belgium is placed sixth with 4.59% of the funding (€17,756,369)
- A total of €386,708,062 was awarded by the EU to fund sustainable energy projects across the world between 2014 and 2020