HRH Prince Charles, “Climate change is now rapidly becoming a comprehensive catastrophe that will dwarf the impact of the coronavirus pandemic”
The following are highlights of his address today.
- The borderless Climate bio-diversity and heath crisis are all symptoms of a planet that has been pushed beyond its boundaries, without swift and immediate action at a unprecedented case and scale, we will miss the window of opportunity to reset for a green blue recovery and a more sustainable and inclusive future. In other words, the global pandemic is a wake up call we cannot ignore. This crisis has been with us for far too many years. It is now rapidly becoming a comprehensive catastrophe, that will dwarf the impact of the corona virus pandemic.
- At this late stage I can see no other way forward but to call for a Marshall-like plan for nature, people and planet.
- What do we do? Without doubt we must now approach our action from the perspective of a militant style campaign. Working together we can combat this most grave and urgent challenge.
- By COP26, and by using a future of industry approach, it would make a very great difference if each of the main sectors of the economy were to outline publicly accessible roadmaps that identify the steps to net zero from 2020-2030″
- We have the incredible opportunity to create entirely new sustainable industries, products, services, and supply chains
- Market leading companies have demonstrated that it is entirely possible to be profitable and sustainable at the same time
- Business and investments that are ESG aligned are increasingly outperforming those that are not, even in the current economic crisis
- It is absolutely vital given the enormity of the problem we face, that we make truly transformative progress along the road to net zero by 2030. Taking the tough decisions now rather than deferring them to the next generation
Responding to his comments, Helen Clarkson, CEO of the Climate Group, an international non-profit and organizers of Climate Week NYC, said: “His Royal Highness’s address was incredibly moving – it is heartening to hear him and so many of our other speakers call for such large scale action. Invoking the Marshall Plan harks back to a very special moment in history, when the US led by example on the biggest issue of the day. I hope that decision makers in the US hear that call and take note.”